Tuesday, June 23, 2009

Shells

We spent a couple of weeks in Texas recently, in San Antonio and on the gulf coast near Corpus Christi. If you're ever in that area, I recommend Shells, a restaurant in Port Aransas, a small beach town. It's a small place, probably with a bit of a wait on weekends and holidays, and might be tough for a larger group at any time, but if you're a couple escaping together for dinner while grandma watches your infant, say, it's pretty ideal.

I had a smoked rack of pork that was, no joke, one of the finest pieces of meat I have ever had in my life. As soon as I began to eat it, I was sad that soon I would be finished eating it. I probably slightly disturbed our waitress by informing her that it was so good, I wished I had a time machine so I could go back in time and have her bring it to me again. Later I realized that what I really wanted was to become unstuck in time, like Billy Pilgrim, and loop for a while during the meal, so I could just eat it again and again and again.

No comments: