Thursday, February 5, 2009

Classic at the Alameda: Coming Soon

The theater up the block has announced the slate of classic films for the rest of February:

The Great Escape, Feb 11 and 12
Doctor Zhivago, Feb 18 and 19
Gone with the Wind, Feb 25 and 26

I have never seen Zhivago and it's been a while for the Great Escape - and I haven't seen Gone with the Wind on the big screen. It looks like I'm going to have to limit my trips to the movie theater for a while, so I'll probably skip these, as much as I don't want to. If anyone's out there, though, and you have the time and income - I encourage you to go to as many of these as you can. If the community can give reasonable support to this effort at repertory film screening, perhaps it will continue for a while.

Sure, I bitch about the quality of the projection - but the truth is, no one is doing this. I mean, there are maybe a handful of theaters in the country that are playing old movies. No one goes to see them and so they don't make money. You haven't really seen any of these movies until you've seen them on the big screen, so don't miss the opportunity.

No comments: