Tuesday, February 17, 2009

The Return of the Ants and Making Lemonade

The ants are back. It's been raining, practically non-stop, for days. This week's theme is "Making Lemonade." We've got plenty of water for it. There's something that happens if you just force yourself to smile every time you react to anything. I think it tricks you into being slightly happier.

I don't know. Happiness can be created, I think. It may not come from the things you think. It may not, for example, come from having a job or whatever special thing you think you want. It might just be the thing that you feel when you smile. If that's so, then you can create some for yourself by smiling rather than frowning or being stone-faced. I've been sort of trying out this approach. If I can convince myself to smile and be optimistic, then maybe I'll start feeling that way.

As it is, these could be considered dark days. But that darkness is really all in my head. People sometimes say, "I'm not being pessimistic, just realistic." Hell, I've said it - or switched out pessimism for optimism. But what does it mean to "be realistic?" If I say I want to be an astronaut, well, that's not a very realistic goal. But maybe it would make me happy to say that's what my goal was, and then something else would happen. I mean, who's to say what's realistic and what's not?

And so with happiness, it's just a feeling. I might be able to convince myself that I am happy, just by acting happy, the way you prime a pump.

No comments: